Deleting Facebook

Posted In: Off Topic Discussions
  • AJ on: April 11, 2018 at 7:31 pm #2328

I did decide to delete my Facebook account. So, anyone who may have been following me, if you see that I’m suddenly gone, this is why. I am going to (try) to maintain my personal website, so if any of you want to “follow” me there, you can:

http://www.ajryanmedia.com

AJ on: March 30, 2018 at 1:54 pm #2314

Yeah, missing out on photos on Facebook would be sad, though many of my Facebook friends are also on Instagram, so I would still see some.

I don’t play any games on Facebook, so that’s not an issue for me. A bigger problem would be with the websites where I have used Facebook as my login. Those would need to change.

Bigger still is that the Facebook login feature for this site is tied to my Facebook, so unless I could find some alternative, people would lose the ability to log in here using Facebook.

So, still some things to work out before I make a final decision.

AJ

Rabb on: March 30, 2018 at 1:40 pm #2312

I so agree with how you are feeling AJ!  I am so tired of all the political stuff and worrying about if I happen to like a post that it will make someone mad.

I have thought about deleting it but honestly I love the Criminal Case game on it and love playing it.  I also love seeing the pics of kids my friends post.  I also like checking the JD Robb and Nora pages there so I guess for me I am staying but I sure don’t go over the posts and feeds like I used to.

ElectricOutcast on: March 30, 2018 at 2:17 am #2311

I used to have two Facebook accounts, one for political (It’s the one I have with a Batman picture), and I have another one for business. But the one with Batman was originally deactivated because it’s not good rapport to be political in business.

In my opinion, I think Facebook would be better off restructuring itself to have limited political posts and just use it for business purposes.

AJ on: March 30, 2018 at 1:36 am #2310

So, some of you may have heard about this movement right now of people deleting their Facebook accounts, some of them because of the recent scandal with Cambridge Analytica.

This is actually nothing new. People have been deleting their Facebook accounts for a few years now.

The reason I bring it up is because I have, for a while now, been thinking of deleting my own Facebook account. So, I thought I would post about it here and get opinions. I know many of you never had Facebook accounts, so, your opinion might be useful to someone thinking about disconnecting.

Most of you who have been here from the beginning of this site and were members of InDeath.net know that I have a strict “No Politics” rule. I just feel like discussion of politics tends to poison things, and make friends into enemies for no good reason.

Well, those of you on Facebook know that in the last year or so, it’s become this really nasty political opinion machine. The comments section of any post is just a cesspool. I have found myself arguing with people that I don’t really even know about politics, and sometimes I step back and think…why am I doing this?

But it’s not just that. Seriously, I can pull my Facebook page up right now, and here’s what I got:

A political post from a family member

An advertisement that I have seen millions of times

Post by a friend about baseball which, as much as I like this friend, I am not interested in baseball.

A political post by a family member

An advertisement that I have seen millions of times

A political post by a family member

A recipe video of a recipe I will never make

A news story where the comments section will be horrific

Etc., Etc., Etc…

Again, I have looked at my Facebook wall for days now wondering why I need to see any of this?

Is it worth it if I alienate my friends and family every day by disagreeing with their political views?

What do you all think? Have you thought about deleting your Facebook too?

Please keep your responses as politically neutral as possible.

Thanks!

AJ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar