Random Questions About the Books

Posted In: J.D. Robb Book Discussion
  • wont on: August 10, 2018 at 12:40 am #2441

Wasn’t that Lee Chang who almost caused that spat? Kyung is the one who isn’t an asshole, I believe.

On the spat with Whitney, I think he might write her up for talking to him in such a way, if it happened again. Clearly he respects her, and even likes her, but, he’s not going to allow her to walk over him and disrespect him. He did give her a bit of leeway however. But, IMO, it would have to be much more than something she said for her to be in danger of being demoted. She’s pretty hard on herself, and if that happened, she may resign, or try and start over at a lower rank. I can’t see Whitney demoting her unless it was a major infraction. To just have a demerit on her record would be a huge deal to her.

ElectricOutcast on: August 10, 2018 at 2:14 pm #2442

Wasn’t that Lee Chang who almost caused that spat? Kyung is the one who isn’t an asshole, I believe.

I just realized last second that I gotten the names wrong, I am so sorry. But I will say this, Kyung was definitely an improvement over Lee Chang, in my opinion, he was definitely the worst element of Purity.

The reason why I asked the question about a potential spat is because I thought both Whitney and Tibble were having a hard time grasping the fact that Eve didn’t want to be a figurehead for the NYPSD.

wont on: August 10, 2018 at 3:08 pm #2443

You don’t need to apologize. We all make mistakes. It isn’t of consequence.

Kyung was the only liaison from the NYPSD that Eve dealt with (in the books.) It was insinuated she dealt with others in the past that weren’t agreeable.

Lee Chang was a smug little prick, but, IMO, he was a tepid element at best. There were so many others, in that vein, who rose to the top. Deputy Mayor Jenna Franks, Detective Dwier, Clarissa Price, and Donald Dukes. There were judges too. They all disregarded the law to feed their own beliefs. To my mind, Dukes was the worst. They all were bad, but his arrogant attitude and air of superiority put him at #1. I was so glad Eve brought him down.

Delia McNab on: August 14, 2018 at 10:27 pm #2450

I just finished another re-read of Holiday In Death and I am once again annoyed with how Eve confronted Peabody at the Christmas party. I found what Eve told Peabody and Charles to be well over the line and boorish but it was written in a way that the reader should find what was said to be a reasonable measure of concern from one friend to another. Eve walks away from it hurt. Peabody tells McNab that Eve screwed up but she screwed up more. Peabody apologizes to Eve. Really??

Anyway, just needed to say that out loud somewhere. Cheers!

wont on: August 17, 2018 at 5:07 pm #2451

Yes, it was border line boorish. But, I see that as standard Eve behavior. I do believe she was concerned for Peabody, and she wasn’t friends enough with Charles at this point to know he would not take advantage of Peabody. He definitely cared for her, but in a good friend way. Eve is blunt. The opposite of smooth. Peabody is the first partner she’s had as a lieutenant. Also, she’s only the second real friend Eve’s had in her entire life. I don’t believe Eve realized how much Peabody meant to her. Some of that concern came to light in this scene. Certainly it could have been handled better, but it was over and that bridge partially burned. I think Peabody was fully aware of how much Eve meant to her. As a role model. As a cop she wanted to emulate, and as a friend. She bit back at Eve in that exchange and wasn’t at all sure how that would play out between them later. I think that’s what was going through her mind when she said that to McNab.

I just finished rereading Visions. One of my favorite little scenes in any of the books is when Eve is with Roarke and her communicator goes off. It’s McNab calling from the hospital. Before she answers, she reaches for Roarke’s hand. It was such a telling gesture. So unlike her actually. And, another similar scene I somehow missed in previous rereads, when they were at the hospital, in the waiting room. It said Eve sat with Roarke and her hand stayed holding his. I took this as lasting for a while. We all know what a stickler Eve can be about PDA’s. Both of these scenes, IMO, demonstrated how much Peabody meant to her. More than she admitted to herself. I was very glad Roarke was there for her. And of course after Peabody was awake and sitting up, Eve broke down and cried. A huge admission.

So, yes, Eve is more than a little rough around the edges, but, she has a very caring heart.

Delia McNab on: August 17, 2018 at 10:55 pm #2452

So, yes, Eve is more than a little rough around the edges, but, she has a very caring heart.

I absolutely agree. I’m just having a hard time squaring that with what she said:

“I don’t recall your name on the guest list.”

Peabody colored, stiffened. “The invitation said I was free to bring a date.”

“Is that what this is?” she asked, keeping her eyes on Charles’s. “A date?”

“Yes.” He lowered his voice as a flicker of hurt clouded his eyes. “Delia is aware of my profession.”

“Are you giving her the cop’s standard discount?”

Eve walks away hurt as if what she said could only be interpreted as concern and a total surprise that Peabody took it any other way.

Later on she tells Peabody that she thought she was speaking to her as a friend “who was sloppy-eyed over an LC…who was a suspect in an ongoing investigation”.  I’m saying that the above doesn’t match up with this explanation IMO. Her words were focused on his profession (and shaming him for it) and not on anything related to the case or on Peabody as a friend.

Anyway, I love these books and have re-read them a fafillion times. But this one part in this book has never worked for me.

AJ on: August 29, 2018 at 2:21 am #2458

Her words were focused on his profession (and shaming him for it) and not on anything related to the case or on Peabody as a friend. Anyway, I love these books and have re-read them a fafillion times. But this one part in this book has never worked for me.

I agree that Eve was doing a bit of shaming, but I don’t agree that she wasn’t thinking about Peabody while doing it. I think she was thinking of Peabody, and not wanting her to get hurt. Granted, yes, Eve shouldn’t have said what she said. But I’ve always seen Eve as someone who, even though she’s great at her job, and because of that job, has to interact with people on a daily basis, she’s still pretty socially awkward due to her childhood. So, often doesn’t say or do things the way they should be said or done. Not an excuse, but more just the way I interpret the character.

Delia McNab on: August 29, 2018 at 10:01 pm #2468

It’s just jarring because normally when she flies that far off the handle she will go back and apologize or at least realize that she should. In this case, Eve as a character and the way the narrative of the book was going is that she really shouldn’t have to. That she was the injured party.

Anyway, I’m on to Conspiracy (my favorite in the series) so all is well.

AJ on: August 30, 2018 at 1:58 am #2469

Conspiracy is my favorite as well, so we have that in common!

Stargehzer on: October 25, 2018 at 4:21 pm #2557

I read the series a few years ago & am rereading it now.
    There are a couple of things I’m wondering about.
    When did Eve become in charge of the homicide division? I didn’t think she was, in the early books.
    Didn’t Eve sign a prenup, then later Roarke found out she hadn’t read it? Perhaps I was sleepy when I reread that that because I seem to have missed it. Were the 2 mentions of the prenup in different books?

wont on: October 26, 2018 at 4:58 am #2559

Eve was the Lieutenant in charge of homicide from the start. As this was the first book we don’t see the cast of characters we’ve come to know through out the series. Feeney is there to help on the DeBlass case, but of course he’s on loan from EDD. But, she has an office from the very beginning. If she wasn’t in charge of the department she would have been out in the midst of the detectives. At least that’s how I see it.

On the pre-nup, that was first mentioned in Festive. They were driving and she revealed she hadn’t read it. Roarke was pissed. It was discussed, explained and then put away (IMO). I don’t recall it being mentioned in another book, but it could have. Even in Rapture, when they were barely back from their honeymoon, and Eve was complaining to Roarke about not wanting him to leave her all his money and holdings if he died, a pre-nup wasn’t mentioned.

ElectricOutcast on: November 3, 2018 at 1:56 pm #2572

Question, I imagine Li Morris is of Asian descent, but I’m trying to figure out if he was either of Caucasian Descent or African Descent.

P.S. I just got word this morning that Emza’s grandmother just passed away (as of 11/3/2018) so I’ll let her know in the future if you guys want to send some love to her.

wont on: November 3, 2018 at 3:15 pm #2573

I don’t have anything to base this on other than Eve’s many observations of his physical appearance, but I would think Caucasian. She’s observed his hair color and eyes, and I think if he had African features, that would have been mentioned. But, there isn’t enough defining information to know for sure.

ElectricOutcast on: November 3, 2018 at 4:40 pm #2574

I don’t have anything to base this on other than Eve’s many observations of his physical appearance, but I would think Caucasian. She’s observed his hair color and eyes, and I think if he had African features, that would have been mentioned. But, there isn’t enough defining information to know for sure.

I ask because everytime I listen to his scenes, there’s always mention of him having his hair braided which made me think of the latter. But I’m certain we’ll get something more concrete down the road.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/ajryhjox/jdrobbfans.com/wp-content/plugins/activity-reactions-for-buddypress/class/class.php on line 1082
Skip to toolbar