What are you listening to? (Audiobooks)

Posted In: The Book Club
  • ElectricOutcast on: June 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm #2368

Justice League of America: Exterminators

When a mass outbreak of super-powered individuals threatens the world, the JLA determines that latent metahuman abilities are being triggered by an alien contagion, one that’s spreading throughout Earth as it transforms its hosts into monstrous engines of destruction. Racing to contain the infection, the world’s greatest super heroes link the parasitic plague to an alien invasion from the team’s earliest days and make a horrifying discovery: the JLA itself is responsible for the imminent disaster they now face.

ElectricOutcast on: June 1, 2018 at 7:52 pm #2361

Batman/Superman: Enemies & Allies by Kevin J. Anderson

The Dark Knight and The Man of Steel versus Lex Luthor and the Soviets—and each other—in a spellbinding story of destiny and duty set against the backdrop of America’s Cold War era.

ElectricOutcast on: May 26, 2018 at 11:28 pm #2359

Nuclear Bombshell 2: The Doomsday Brunette

In the year 2057, the last freelance private investigator, partnered with an experimental A.I. named Harv, solves cases involving androids, future tech wizards, and all sorts of mayhem…

When Ona Thompson, a genetically altered superwoman, media darling, and one of the indestructible Thompson Quads, discovers her sister’s murdered body, a freelance private investigator who is wired to an experimental A.I. named HARV comes to the rescue.

ElectricOutcast on: May 10, 2018 at 8:45 pm #2344

I got four audiobooks downloaded for a wedding trip I’m taking this Friday:

Nuclear Bombshell #0: 

<span style=”font-size: 13px;”>The Peach Blond Bomber</span>

No Synopsis Given

Nuclear Bombshell #1: The Plutonium Blonde

I AM THE LAST FREE-LANCE PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR ON EARTH.

My name is Zachary Nixon Johnson. The year is 2057 and, after a handful of species-altering upheavals, Earth-shattering cataclysms, history-changing extraterrestrial contacts, and pop-culture disasters, the world is now a pretty safe place. But, of course, as in times past, people still run the shades-of-gray gamut from good to evil. There are still cops and robbers, saints and sinners, voters and politicians. And every once in a while some crazy thing happens that threatens all of society, all of humanity, even the entire space-time continuum.

And for some reason it always happens on my watch.

So when B. B. Starr, the ex-exotic dancer who is now the CEO of ExShell, the largest corporation on the planet, hires me for a particularly sensitive assignment, I naturally expect the worst. After all, B. B. Starr is one of the richest and most powerful people on Earth–why does she need me? But even with the help of HARV–my annoyingly precise holographic assistant, who’s the most intelligent computer on Earth–implanted directly into my brain (don’t ask), this assignment sounds like more than I can handle. For B. B. Starr wants me to locate and disable BB-2, an android replica of B. B. herself. An android with a plutonium core, 160 times stronger, 176 times more durable, 200 times faster, with senses far more acute, and a vastly higher IQ than normal carbon-based humans. How can I hope to find and deactivate a bad-attitude, hell-bent, nuclear-powered, super android that looks like an exotic dancer and might even be smarter than HARV?

Crisis on Infinite Earths (DC Comics)

A mysterious force is moving through reality, destroying all life in its wake. The world’s greatest super heroes, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and thousands of others are confronted with their greatest challenge: stopping this inter-dimensional threat before it destroys all life everywhere! To stop this threat, they must ally themselves with the most dangerous super-villains. If they fail, more than 3,000 universes and untold trillions of living beings will die!

Wonder Woman: Thanos

Superman. Batman. Wonder Woman. The Flash. Green Lantern.
    They are the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, fighting endlessly against corruption and injustice. Each of them is a formidable opponent of evil, but banded together their powers are unmatched. Ever ready, they stand united as the –

JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA

Mysterious events in the Bermuda Triangle propel Wonder Woman on a desperate search for the truth behind the disappearance of a diver near Themyscira, home of the legendary Amazons. But her discovery of a mirror island-one populated entirely by men-sets events in motion that ultimately cause the Justice League to come into conflict with a figure from Wonder Woman’s own mythological past. But is she powerful enough to save them?

Jacquie on: April 25, 2018 at 12:52 pm #2339

I’m listening to the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I stumbled across this while browsing my local library online late one night and was hooked! Possibly because I am tremendously interested in the subject of Egyptian Archeology especially at the time of the discovery of Tutankhamen.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jacquie.
    ElectricOutcast on: April 20, 2018 at 10:32 am #2337

Promises in Death (Eve Dallas #28)

Amaryllis Coltraine may have recently transferred to the New York City police force from Atlanta, but she’s been a cop long enough to know how to defend herself against an assailant. When she’s taken down just steps away from her apartment, killed with her own weapon, for Eve the victim isn’t just “one of us.”

Eve starts questioning everyone while her husband, Roarke, digs into computer data on the dead woman’s life back in Atlanta. To their shock, they discover a connection between this case and their own painful, shadowy pasts. The truth will need to be uncovered one layer at a time, starting with the box that arrives at Cop Central addressed to Eve, containing Coltraine’s guns, badge, and a note from her killer: “You can have them back. Maybe someday soon, I’ll be sending yours to somebody else.”

But Eve Dallas doesn’t take too kindly to personal threats, and she is going to break this case, whatever it takes. And that’s a promise.  <b>
    </b>

Or as I like to call it: My research for a sequel to Death in the Shell.

ElectricOutcast on: March 31, 2018 at 12:59 am #2318

Caitlin Strong 9: Strong to the Bone

https://www.graphicaudio.net/caitlin-strong-9-strong-to-the-bone.html

1944: Texas Ranger Earl Strong investigates a triple murder inside a Nazi POW camp in Texas.

The Present: His granddaughter, fifth generation Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong, finds herself pursuing the killer her father never caught in the most personal case of her career―a conspiracy stretching from that Nazi POW camp to a modern-day neo-Nazi gang.

A sinister movement has emerged from the shadows of history, determined to undermine the American way of life. Its leader, Armand Fisker, has an army at his disposal, a deadly bio-weapon, and a reputation for being unbeatable. But he’s never taken on the likes of Caitlin Strong and her outlaw lover, Cort Wesley Masters.

To prevent an unspeakable cataclysm, Caitlin and Cort Wesley must win a war the world thought was over.

ElectricOutcast on: February 17, 2018 at 4:30 pm #2278

Season of Love by Harper Bliss

Is age really just a number?
    Alice McAllister is a successful solicitor who likes a quiet, disciplined life. But when her business partner Miranda forces her to take a vacation at her holiday home in Portugal, the presence of Miranda’s daughter Joy turns Alice’s world up-side down.

Despite their age difference, Alice and Joy embark on a fiery holiday romance… until they have to return home to London.

ElectricOutcast on: January 14, 2018 at 1:20 am #2216

Widdershins #2 False Covenant

It’s been over half a year, now, since the brutal murder of Archbishop William de Laurent during his pilgrimage to the Galicien city of Davillon. During that time, the Church of the Hallowed Pact has assigned a new bishop to the city—but it has also made its displeasure at the death of its clergyman quite clear. Davillon’s economy has suffered beneath the weight of the Church’s displeasure. Much of the populace—angry at the clergy— has turned away from the Church hierarchy, choosing private worship or small, independent shrines. And the bishop, concerned for his new position and angy at the people of Davillon, plans to do something about it.

But a supernatural threat is stalking the nighttime streets—a creature of the other world has come to infiltrate the seedier streets of Davillon, to intertwine its tendrils through the lower echelons of society. Faced with both political upheaval and a supernatural threat to its citizenry, the local representatives of the Church are paralyzed and the Guardsmen are in over their heads.

And then there’s Widdershins–who’s tried, and failed, to stay out of trouble since taking over Genevieve’s tavern; who’s known to the Church and the Guard both, and trusted by neither; who may, with some of her Thieves’ Guild contacts, have unwittingly played a part in the bishop’s plans; and who, along with her personal god Olgun, may be the only real threat to the supernatural evil infesting Davillon.

Debbi on: January 4, 2018 at 3:39 pm #2196

Anne of Green Gables By Lucy Maud Montgomery

With all of the pluck and charm of its eponymous young hero, Rachel McAdams (The NotebookSpotlightMidnight in Paris) delivers a spectacular reading of Montgomery’s beloved bildungsroman. In moments both funny and bittersweet, McAdams’ voice is imbued with the spark that has made Anne a much-loved symbol of individualism and cheer for over a century. In this story of “kindred spirits”, McAdams’ touching and heartfelt narration proves she is just that – bonded on a deep level to this shimmering classic.

When aging brother and sister Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert decide to adopt an orphan boy to help with chores around their farm, Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, neither is prepared for the feisty and imaginative redheaded girl who is mistakenly brought to them instead. Nor are they prepared for the way in which she will change their lives. Through a series of hilarious misadventures, Anne’s uncompromising spirit makes her a striking presence in the close-knit village, bringing new friendships, first crushes, and, for her foster parents, a love and openness unimaginable before her arrival.

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

ElectricOutcast on: December 7, 2017 at 9:19 pm #1598

Rogue Angel 58: Death Looms

While looking for ghosts among Mardi Gras revelers in New Orleans, Annja Creed is asked to help recover sacred objects stolen from a church. Instead, her efforts lead her into a vast conspiracy and blackmail scheme that stretches thousands of years into the past.

Joined by Garin Braden, who has his own score to settle, Annja follows the path of seven ancient coins into the lair of Spider, one of history’s deadliest assassins. Will Annja and Garin find Spider’s legendary treasure, or fall into her web, never to see the light of day again?

Rogue Angel 58: Death Looms is an original story written specifically for GraphicAudio and is available in no other format.

Debbi on: November 26, 2017 at 10:06 pm #1577

Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) by Brandon Sanderson
    It’s 55 hours so it’s gonna take a while!

[font=Arial, sans-serif]In Oathbringer, the third volume of the New York Times best-selling Stormlight Archive, humanity faces a new Desolation with the return of the Voidbringers, a foe with numbers as great as their thirst for vengeance.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Dalinar Kholin’s Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost. The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar’s blood-soaked past and stand together – and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past – even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization.[/font]

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

Debbi on: November 5, 2017 at 12:44 am #1555

Lost Gate (Mithermages #1) by Orson Scott Card

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Danny North knew from early childhood that his family was different – and that he was different from them. While his cousins were learning how to create the things that commoners called fairies, ghosts, golems, trolls, werewolves, and other such miracles that were the heritage of the North family, Danny worried that he would never show a talent, never form an “outself”.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]He grew up in the rambling old house, filled with dozens of cousins and aunts and uncles, all ruled by his father. Their home was isolated in the mountains of western Virginia, far from town, far from schools, far from other people.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]There are many secrets in the House, and many rules that Danny must follow. There is a secret library with only a few dozen books, and none of them in English – but Danny and his cousins are expected to become fluent in the language of the books. While Danny’s cousins are free to create magic whenever they like, they must never do it where outsiders might see.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately, there are some secrets kept from Danny as well. And that will lead to disaster for the North family.[/font]

greycoupon on: November 2, 2017 at 9:13 pm #1552

Just finishing JD Robb’s Indulgence In Death during my annual reread and enjoying it again…especially Peabody’s fixation with asses and naming Roarke’s the best of all.

And my on-line library just sent me a message that my next audiobook choice is in my account: The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines of the HGTV show Fixer Upper, a fav of mine.

ElectricOutcast on: October 31, 2017 at 12:27 pm #1549

Esther Diamond 2: Dopplegangster

A struggling actress, a 350-year-old mage whose day job is protecting New York City from Evil, a skeptical cop—and double the number of wiseguys that there should be….

While working as a singing waitress in Little Italy, struggling actress Esther Diamond witnesses a mob hit. And right before getting whacked out, the victim tells her that he just saw his own doppio—a perfect double and a notorious portent of death.

Before long, more döppelgangers start haunting New York’s mobsters, who are subsequently getting bumped off in mysterious ways. Meanwhile, Esther’s new love-interest, Detective Connor Lopez, gets transferred to the NYPD’s organized crime unit and is assigned to investigate these hits.

Determined to prevent the murder of more of her restaurant customers, which slayings will soon lead to a mob war, Esther tries to uncover the evil genius behind the deadly doppelgangsters. Along with a 350 -year-old sorcerer and an aging hit man, Esther delves deep into the world of wiseguys in pursuit of a ruthlessly mystical murderer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar